Have you ever woke up with overly greasy hair? Most of us have experienced a bad hair day and “hair” is a very important subject for every woman because it greatly affects our self-esteem. Read on as we dig deeper about the best shampoo for oily hair and scalp and get some tips on how we can prevent bad hair days from ever prevailing.
Why do I have greasy hair?
Oily hair is the result of excessive sebum produced by our sebaceous glands. Although oil helps protect and support healthy hair, too much production is a problem because it will attract dirt easily, cause dandruff, make your hair stick together and worst clog your hair roots which may cause excessive hair loss. Why suffer and we can prevent it? Below are some of the reasons for having oily hair and scalp:
• Unhealthy eating habits – Fried foods, fatty meats, dairy products, and sugary food are notorious for causing oily scalp and hair. Excess oil from these products can seep from the body into the hair shaft so it is best to avoid it during meals.
• Over washing your hair – Yes, some of us would think using shampoo and conditioner daily or more than once a day will keep our hair from dirt and make it stronger, but that’s actually too much for our hair and scalp to handle, especially if you are using a non-organic product. This can result in an oilier build-up on your scalp.
• Hormonal disturbance – It’s another cause of oily hair and scalp due to certain medications, pregnancy, menopause, and stress. These things lead to excessive oil production on your scalp.
• Skin conditions – Existing skin conditions like eczema, psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis causes oily hair and scalp. So if you have sensitive skin, it is best to consult a health professional to not aggravate your skin.
• Heat styling your heart too much – Staying under the sun for too long is bad enough to damage your hair and applying too much heat to your hair will make things worse. Using blow dryers straightening irons and curling wands overdrive your sebaceous glands and produce more sebum, thus making your hair oily.
What to Consider in Choosing the Best Shampoo for Oily Hair and Scalp
A lot of commercially available shampoos are intended for different hair types that’s why it is best to use the right shampoo for oily hair and scalp so you can say goodbye to bad hair days you’ve been experiencing. If you have greasy hair make time to consider the following for cleaner hair without the greasy feel:
• Labels – Go for shampoos intended for greasy hair, oil control, volumizing or clarifying. Treat shampoos like medicines because it won’t help you get oil-free hair if you use moisturizing shampoo just as sleeping pills won’t work for diarrhea. Oily hair still needs moisture but just the right amount it will do.
• pH Balanced – Regular shampoos specifically those that contain a lot of chemicals will harm your hair and scalp with repeated use. Always opt for a pH balanced shampoo because it works well in balancing sebum secretion and it does its job well without stripping your scalp of natural oils.
• Ingredients – Familiarize yourself with ingredients that would keep your hair less greasy and healthy from roots to tips. Common ingredients in shampoo for oily hair and scalp include tea tree oil, rosemary, and peppermint. They clarify hair’s texture and at the same time cleanses oil and product build-up.
• Sulfate- and Paraben-free – Harsh chemicals should be avoided because it affects the natural balance of sebum production on hair and scalp causing it to spike leading to increased oil production. It is better to opt for organic brands or those with plant-derived ingredients for hair and scalp protection.
1. Q: Is it good for my hair to be greasy?
A: No, a little oil is okay because our hair and scalp need the right amount of moisture but when we have greasy hair it means something is not right. It will attract more dirt easily, cause dandruff, and could clog your hair roots.
2. Q: How do I not overwash my hair?
A: Instead of using shampoo all-over your hair and scalp from roots to tips, prevent overwashing by only massaging the shampoo on the roots of your hair since the ends will be cleaned when you rinse the shampoo out of your roots. By doing so, important oils the scalp produces won’t be stripped, preventing the hair and scalp from becoming too dry or too oily.
3. Q: Is dry shampoo helpful for oily hair?
A: Dry shampoo is helpful in a way for people with hair because it can extend the time between shampoos and absorbs oil, however it does not remove dirt. Using it several days in a row can irritate the scalp.
Are you ready to find out what is the best shampoo for oily hair and scalp? Here are our reviews of 23 amazing shampoo products for oily hair and scalp:
Top 23 amazing shampoo products for oily hair and scalp
1. OGX Hydrating + Tea Tree Mint Shampoo
Enhance the natural look of your hair with OGX Hydrating + Tea Tree Mint Shampoo. It is gentle enough for fine hair and fierce enough for thick or coarse hair. Treat yourself with a shampoo that works deep into every strand as it gives you a deep clean feel. This shampoo is used Australian Tea Tree Oil, milk protein, and peppermint oil to nourish damaged, oily and frizzy hair.
2. L’Oreal Paris Elvive Extraordinary Clay Rebalancing Shampoo
3. Volumizing Shampoo For Oily Hair – Vitamin Shampoo With Lemon Oil + Sage – Natural Hair Care
Get the oily hair treatment you need naturally with Lemon Sage Oily Hair Shampoo. This shampoo is infused with tea tree, rosemary, and argan oil essentials to reduce excess sebum secretion while deeply cleaning the scalp. It is a sulfate-free shampoo made of 100% natural ingredients that will keep your scalp and hair healthy and moisturized.
4. Neutrogena Anti-Residue Clarifying Shampoo
Reset your hair and say goodbye to bad hair days with Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo. Use this once a week to instantly rinse away excess build-up and remove 90% of heavy dulling residue caused by styling products, shampoos, and conditioners. This clarifying shampoo has a clear formula without artificial dyes or colorants so it can also boost volume without irritating the scalp.
5. Nexxus Hydra-Light Weightless Moisture Shampoo Shampoo for Oily Hair Replenishing Silicone
Nexxus Hydra-Light Shampoo is a silicone-free shampoo with ProteinFusion formula blended with Wheat Protein and deep-sea minerals to keep hair hydrated from roots to ends. It deeply cleanses normal to oily hair and nourishes hair without weighing it down. This salon-inspired shampoo leaves hair and scalp soft, smooth, and weightless.
6. Bumble and Bumble Sunday Shampoo
Cleanse your hair with a fresh, new start with Bumble and Bumble Sunday Shampoo. Detoxify your hair from all the build-up and residue which causes greasiness and excess secretion of sebum. This shampoo has Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Rosemary Leaf Extract, and Sage Leaf Extract as its key ingredients lifting away excess oil and built-up pollutants, leaving hair with a pleasant herbal scent.
7. Aveeno Scalp Soothing Apple Cider Vinegar Blend Shampoo
Achieve that simple and balanced hair with Aveeno Scalp Soothing Apple Cider Vinegar Blend Shampoo with oats as its key ingredient. This farm-fresh inspired shampoo is infused with apple cider vinegar that clarifies the scalp and provides a natural shine from root to tip. It helps soothe the scalp and nourish every strand from root to tip. No sulfates, dyes, and parabens were added into its formula so it’s safe for all hair types and color-treated hair.
8. Shampoo for Oily Hair & Oily Scalp – Natural Dandruff Treatment for Women & Men
Wash away excess oil and enjoy volume without weight or grease by using Degrease Moisture Control Shampoo. This shampoo is made of 96% natural ingredients such as Rosemary and Cypress Oil that balance an oily scalp. It helps purify hair, reduce the appearance of dandruff, and removes build-up. Restore healthy sebum and pH balance in your skin and hair with this paraben-free and cruelty-free shampoo.
9. Shampoo for Oily Hair & Itchy Scalp with Pure Jojoba + Lemon & Argan Oil
Balance oily scalp and dry ends with Amaze Oily Hair Shampoo. This clarifying shampoo helps remove impurities, absorb excess oil, and soothe an itchy scalp. It is infused with Jojoba Lemon Basil Oil and Argan Oil that helps remove build-up and improves hair volume and texture. This all-natural hair care is free of harmful chemicals and works great for all hair types.
10. Paul Mitchell Shampoo Two
Cleanse oily hair and scalp with Paul Mitchell Shampoo Two. This clarifying shampoo has a color-safe formula that deeply cleanses and washes away build-up without stripping out too much moisture. It is made from wheat-derived conditioners that boost body and shine. This also helps minimize oil production in the scalp for a perfect balance.
11. Click image to open expanded view ACURE Curiously Clarifying Shampoo – Lemongrass & Argan | 100% Vegan | Performance Driven Hair Care
If you are looking for performance-driven hair care then ACURE Curiously Clarifying Shampoo is for you. It is infused with lemongrass and argan oil for a double dose of gentle cleansing. This shampoo washes away build-up without stripping. This shampoo is 100% vegan and free of paraben, sulfate, mineral oil, petrolatum, formaldehyde and never tested on animals.
12. Puriya Sulfate-Free Scalp Clarifying Shampoo with Tea Tree Oil, Safe and Paraben Free Plant-Rich Formula, Ideal for Hydrating and Moisturizing Treatment of Dry, Itchy, Flaky Scalp and Hair
Puriya Scalp Therapy Shampoo is ideal for removing build-up, moisturizing and nourishing damaged hair, and reducing itching of the scalp. This shampoo is formulated with tea tree oil, arnica, sage, rosemary, aloe, and Vitamin B Complex to hydrate the scalp and lock in moisture. It helps gently remove build-up from hair and leaves it silky and easy to brush without feeling oily.
13. Kerastase Specifique Bain Divalent
14. Tea Tree Oil Shampoo 16.9 fl oz – For Oily Hair & Irritated Flaky Scalp – Anti Dandruff Shampoo for Women & Men – Paraben & Sulphate Free
Purify and fortify your hair follicles with Tea Tree Shampoo. This shampoo balances oily hair and irritated flaky scalp. It is infused with wheat protein, henna extract, tea tree leaf gel, and other essential oils that provides anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, and anti-dandruff benefit for a healthy-looking hair. It also reduces excess oil and eliminates stickiness for a clean fresh feel after a bath.
15. Ethique Eco-Friendly Solid Shampoo Bar for Oily Hair, St. Clements – Sustainable Natural Shampoo with Lime Oil
If you are struggling with oily hair then Ethique St Clements Shampoo is for you. This eco-friendly shampoo bar is formulated with lime and orange oils to balance oil production while gently cleansing the scalp. It is 100% soap-free, pH balanced, and safe for color-treated hear. Remove excess oil without stripping hair naturally with this zero waste and sustainable shampoo bar.
16. Avalon Organics Clarifying Lemon Shampoo
Restore your hair’s natural brilliance with Avalon Organics Clarifying Lemon Shampoo. It gently cleanses and revitalizes hair while removing excess oil and build-up. This organic shampoo is carefully formulated with lemon essential oil, quinoa protein, aloe, and vitamin E to restore hair’s natural color and shine. No GMOs, parabens, synthetic colors or fragrances, phthalates, and sulfates can be found in this vegan shampoo.
17. Desert Essence Lemon Tea Tree Shampoo – 8 Fl Ounce – Removes Excess Oil – Revitalizes Scalp – Strengthens & Protects Hair
Protect your hair from build-up without stripping its natural moisture with Desert Essence Organics Lemon Tea Tree Shampoo. It contains lemon tea tree oil and lemon peel extract that gently washes away excess oil, invigorates, and balances the scalp’s natural pH. This shampoo locks in moisture without leaving a greasy residue while nourishing and soothing the scalp.
18. Tea Tree Special Shampoo, For All Hair Types
TeaTree Special Shampoo is formulated to treat all hair types. This shampoo helps wash away impurities and keeps hair full of vitality and luster. It has a fresh scent of tea tree oil, peppermint, and lavender leaving the hair fresh and clean and the scalp with a cooling sensation. This color-safe shampoo is also vegan and paraben-free.
19. PURA D’OR Apple Cider Vinegar Thin2Thick Set Shampoo Conditioner for Regrowth, Hair Loss
If you are looking for a natural cleanser that will keep your hair healthy from roots to tips then Pura d’Or Apple Cider Vinegar Thin2Thick Shampoo is for you. It has moisturizing properties that provide superior hydration for hair and scalp while promoting thicker and stronger hair. Apple cider vinegar repairs hair back to its vibrant state and balances the scalp’s pH, reducing dryness and excess oil; all the while improving hair.
20. Everyone Balancing Shampoo: Sulfate Free, Paraben Free
Forget about having imbalanced hair: dry, itchy scalp, and oily hair. Everyone Balancing Shampoo is the answer to beautiful and natural hair. It is infused with tea tree, citrus, quinoa protein, and coconut to gently remove impurities and excess oil without drying your hair. This shampoo for everyone nourishes and replenishes hair of all types naturally without sulfates, parabens, dyes, and artificial perfumes.
21. Good Virtues Co. Christmas Gift Set, Clarifying Shampoo For Oily Hair with Organic Black Seed Oil
Good Virtues Co. Clarifying Hair and Scalp Shampoo is specially formulated for oily hair. This organic shampoo has organic black seed oil, chamomile, rosemary, and sage extracts that provides deep cleansing and control excessive oil production. It also contains natural maca root extract to reduce hair loss so your hair becomes thicker and naturally healthy-looking.
22. Garnier Fructis Pure Clean Shampoo, Paraben-Free Silicone-Free with Aloe Extract and Vitamin E
Garnier Fructis Pure Clean Shampoo is a paraben and silicone-free formula for healthier looking hair. This shampoo cleanses oily hair without weighing it down. It is formulated with aloe extract and vitamin E that helps balance hair and scalp’s moisture. This fortifying is made from plant-derived ingredients with active fruit protein free of parabens and never tested on animals.
23. Herbal Essences, Volume Shampoo With Natural Source Ingredients
Renew your hair with real botanicals found in Herbal Essences Cucumber & Green Tea Shampoo. It is crafted to gently cleanse and lightly moisturize hair. Indulge yourself with its multilayered scents of green tea leaves, water lily, and clean amber. It is color-safe and pH-balanced, leaving your hair smooth and moisturized.
Tips and Tricks for Healthier Hair and Scalp
Who doesn’t want healthy, bouncy, overall amazing hair? For sure, I do! Here are a few tricks of the trade to get that hair beautiful and healthy:
1. Natural hair remedies
• Restore your scalp’s pH balance and control oil production by using apple code vinegar. Dilute into 1:8 solution with water and wash your hair with it. Leave for a few minutes and rinse.
• Use tea tree oil and massage it on your hair and scalp. It holds natural antifungal properties for cleansing.
2. Cut out greasy food and eat more fruits and vegetables especially foods rich in vitamin B2 and B6 to help moderate sebum production.
3. Avoid using all sticky products like mousse, hairspray, and wax.
4. Refrain from over-brushing your hair to prevent the distribution of sebum all through your hair. It is recommended to use a wide-toothed comb for your hair.
Finding the best shampoo for every hair type is crucial because it’s going to be a trial and error process and sometimes it would it cost us a lot or worst it could aggravate our hair and scalp. It is best to first identify your hair type; thick, thin, greasy, dry, or oily. From there you can sort things out by checking the labels and products that are formulated for a specific hair type. Prevention is better than cure, so you must familiarize yourself with ingredients you should avoid like parabens, sulfates, and GMOs and the same goes for ingredients that you should look for such as tea tree oil, rosemary, peppermint, and apple cider vinegar which helps soothe the scalp and cleanse the hair without stripping out the needed oils and nutrients. It is also sometimes necessary to go over your budget to really get what you paid for, just be mindful and do careful research for good hair days ahead.